Estimated to annually cost £554.00 per employee, absence is a cost to the business. Business owners and line managers are increasingly having to deal with more complex cases.
This highly practical course covers many aspects of absence and deals with some of the more complex scenarios and how to manage dismissals fairly on the grounds of capability.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Take the steps needed to deal with an employee who is absent without leave (AWOL)
- Make a request for access to an employee’s medical records
- Identify the key information you need to gain from a medical report
- Hold an effective capability meeting
- Recognise when you need to dismiss an employee for short term and/or long-term sickness
- Confidently deal with absences related to mental health or a disability
- Recognise when reasonable adjustments need to take place
This course will include the following:
- How to manage employees who are AWOL
- What a statement of fitness for work is and what the employer can and can’t do
- How to communicate with and respond to staff who are absent from work
- Access to medical records and how to deal with a request
- How to achieve focussed medical reports including what to ask the medical professionals
- How to hold a capability meeting and how to conduct it
- Dismissing an employee due to long term and / or short-term absence
- How to deal with stress, anxiety and depression related absences
- How to manage disability related absences and consider reasonable adjustments
We will provide you with our bang-up-to-date template pack. Prepared by the experts from Loates HR Training & Loates HR Consultancy, these fully editable Microsoft Office documents will save you hours of research and typing pain once you return to your workplace:
- Attendance management policy
- Performance improvement plan
- Access to medical records consent form
- Letter to GP / Occupational Health requesting medical report
Upcoming Open Courses
We don’t currently have any public open sessions scheduled for this course, so please contact us to discuss bespoke options.
We can also deliver this course on-demand should you wish us to run a session reserved entirely for your company. For such dedicated sessions we offer flexible delivery location, minor content customisation, and discounted delegate rates. Alternatively we can combine content from this course with that from others to create a hybrid course, or design an entirely bespoke course to suit the needs of your company. We can also provide programmes of multiple courses. Please contact us if you'd like to discuss any of these options.