- This event has passed.
HR Essentials for SMEs
Wednesday 17th May , 09:30 – 16:30
Attendance at this workshop is limited to SMEs based in Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire
This full-day action planning workshop explores common and current HR headaches across the employee lifecycle. For many owners of growing businesses, hiring employees is a necessity. Arguably it’s your employees that are your biggest assets and provide you with a key competitive advantage. Just as valuable as your business name, reputation and the product or service you provide.
Managing people however is an art, as it involves well…people. In parallel, there is a wealth of ever-shifting employment and case law lurking to trip up unsuspecting employers.
In this one-day session, we will cover the legal basics. Before rapidly moving on to best practices to deliver gold standard HR and place you ahead of your competition in the war for talent by building an employer brand. We also look at current topics and creative ways to attract talent in a challenging labour market. Moving on to reward and performance we look at how as an employer you can support your employees with the cost of living crisis. And the various alternatives to managing performance.
This is a highly interactive workshop so expect lots of discussion and sharing of best practices. There will also be an opportunity for an HR clinic where you can discuss a current HR issue for your business, and how to resolve this in a safe non-judgemental space.
Who should attend?
Are you a business owner struggling to juggle HR? Perhaps you are a finance or health and safety professional who has been given the role of HR. Are you spending lots of time on HR and firefighting?
What will we cover?
- Employment contracts, the legal obligations of the employer (and the psychological contract which arguably matters even more than the written one)
- Understanding employment status, and the best mix for your business
- Managing within the Equality Act, and avoiding discrimination claims
HR practices that support recruiting and retaining the best people:
- Developing your employer brand and how to attract in a challenging labour market
- How to get ahead of the Great Resignation, and hang on to your talent
- Supporting your employees with the cost of living crisis
- Performance management, what is it, does it work, and what are the alternatives
- Parting company and ending the employment relationship professionally, legally and amicably
What outcomes can you expect?
- A rounded knowledge of employment rights and key employment legislation, and the key pitfalls that employers make.
- Understand the best HR practices that can work for your business that help it to grow rather than get in the way.
- Ideas to support you moving forward with a current HR issue that you need support and help with.
- Sharing best practice HR and HR experiences from within your industry/workplace.
Sarah is a highly qualified and experienced CIPD-accredited HR consultant, and founding director of Loates HR Consultancy.