Thursday 28th May, 09:00 - 16:00£149 – £249
Many situations in the workplace can give rise to an investigation. The investigating manager’s role is vital not only to decide if formal action may be appropriate but also a poor investigation can leave employers vulnerable to a claim for unfair dismissal. This course will leave you feeling confident for when the time comes to undertake a comprehensive, legal and fair investigation.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise when an investigation is necessary
- List the steps needed to conduct an effective investigation and stay within the law
- Use questioning and listening skills to get the information you need
- Handle difficult meetings and people
- Produce an investigation report
- Recognise the instances where suspension is required and how to do it
This course will include the following:
- How to decide when an internal investigation is necessary and what it should consist of
- How to decide who should conduct an investigation
- How to produce an investigation plan and manage the investigation process
- The role of suspension and investigations
- Listening and questioning skills to use during an investigation
- How to manage difficult witnesses and maintain confidentiality
- How to produce an investigation report and present findings
- How to ensure that the information you record and retain is appropriate in the event of an employment tribunal
We will provide you with our bang-up-to-date template pack. Prepared by the experts from Loates HR Training & Loates HR Consultancy, these fully editable Microsoft Office documents will save you hours of research and typing pain once you return to your workplace:
- Investigation report template
- Witness statement template
- Agenda for conducting an investigation meeting
- Invitation to a disciplinary hearing following an investigation
Upcoming Open Courses
We don’t currently have any public open sessions scheduled for this course, so please contact us to discuss bespoke options.
We can also deliver this course on-demand should you wish us to run a session reserved entirely for your company. For such dedicated sessions we offer flexible delivery location, minor content customisation, and discounted delegate rates. Alternatively we can combine content from this course with that from others to create a hybrid course, or design an entirely bespoke course to suit the needs of your company. We can also provide programmes of multiple courses. Please contact us if you'd like to discuss any of these options.
Highly Experienced Trainer
Our HR & employment law courses are designed and delivered by Sarah Loates, founder and lead trainer of Loates HR Training, founder of 5-star rated HR consultancy Loates HR Consultancy, and a practising senior HR consultant with over 20 years of experience across a wide range of company types and industry sectors. Sarah's considerable personal hands-on HR expertise allows her to adopt a practical and business-focussed approach within her training. As a result, she is able to bring theory to life with numerous interesting real-world examples, and show you the best ways to effectively deal with the types of tricky HR and employment law issues that you're actually likely to face in practice. And since Sarah is a current CIPD trainer, and has also taught at several local universities, she knows how to deliver engaging courses that fully involve participants through practical exercises, case studies, and Q&A sessions. No ‘death by PowerPoint’ here.