AWOL, Absence, and Capability Dismissals
Friday 24th April, 09:00 - 16:00£149 – £249
Estimated to annually cost £554.00 per employee, absence is a cost to the business. Business owners and line managers are increasingly having to deal with more complex cases.
This highly practical course covers many aspects of absence and deals with some of the more complex scenarios and how to manage dismissals fairly on the grounds of capability.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Take the steps needed to deal with an employee who is absent without leave (AWOL)
- Make a request for access to an employee’s medical records
- Identify the key information you need to gain from a medical report
- Hold an effective capability meeting
- Recognise when you need to dismiss an employee for short term and/or long-term sickness
- Confidently deal with absences related to mental health or a disability
- Recognise when reasonable adjustments need to take place
This course will include the following:
- How to manage employees who are AWOL
- What a statement of fitness for work is and what the employer can and can’t do
- How to communicate with and respond to staff who are absent from work
- Access to medical records and how to deal with a request
- How to achieve focussed medical reports including what to ask the medical professionals
- How to hold a capability meeting and how to conduct it
- Dismissing an employee due to long term and / or short-term absence
- How to deal with stress, anxiety and depression related absences
- How to manage disability related absences and consider reasonable adjustments
We will provide you with our bang-up-to-date template pack. Prepared by the experts from Loates HR Training & Loates HR Consultancy, these fully editable Microsoft Office documents will save you hours of research and typing pain once you return to your workplace:
- Attendance management policy
- Performance improvement plan
- Access to medical records consent form
- Letter to GP / Occupational Health requesting medical report
Upcoming Open Courses
We can also deliver this course on-demand should you wish us to run a session reserved entirely for your company. For such dedicated sessions we offer flexible delivery location, minor content customisation, and discounted delegate rates. Alternatively we can combine content from this course with that from others to create a hybrid course, or design an entirely bespoke course to suit the needs of your company. We can also provide programmes of multiple courses. Please contact us if you'd like to discuss any of these options.
INCLUDES breakfast/lunch & refreshments
We’ve got some great local catering establishments nearby, so breakfast (half day courses) or lunch (full day courses) is included in your course fee. And there will be tea, coffee, and cold drinks available on tap throughout the day. We’ll do everything we can to accommodate any particular dietary or other requirements, so please let us know of these in advance.
INCLUDES no-quibble money-back guarantee
We’re so confident about the quality of our courses, and the business value that they provide, that we offer a no-quibble money-back guarantee. If you don’t think the training was worth it, we’ll give you your money back. No fuss, no debates, no arguments. Just ask. Simple as that.
Additional post-course HR support available
On your return to the workplace, we’ll help you become confident in using your training to solve real world problems by providing you with a support hotline so that you have a sounding board to check your thinking until you’re fully up to speed. A whole team of experienced and qualified HR consultants from Loates HR Consultancy will be on-hand to help you put what you've learned into practice.
- Our GDPR courses include one hour of implementation support within the standard fee
- Our other courses include two hours of email or phone support within the ‘course + support’ fee, valid for up to 6 months after your training
- Additional HR support is available on a flexible pay-as-you-go basis
Highly experienced trainer
Our HR & employment law courses are designed and delivered by Sarah Loates, founder and lead trainer of Loates HR Training, founder of 5-star rated HR consultancy Loates HR Consultancy, and a practising senior HR consultant with over 20 years of experience across a wide range of company types and industry sectors. Sarah's considerable personal hands-on HR expertise allows her to adopt a practical and business-focussed approach within her training. As a result, she is able to bring theory to life with numerous interesting real-world examples, and show you the best ways to effectively deal with the types of tricky HR and employment law issues that you're actually likely to face in practice. And since Sarah is a current CIPD trainer, and has also taught at several local universities, she knows how to deliver engaging courses that fully involve participants through practical exercises, case studies, and Q&A sessions. No ‘death by PowerPoint’ here.
This course is delivered by