Full day of training, including lunch, template document pack, and optional post-course HR support
Dismissing an employee strikes dread into most employer’s hearts. Easy to get wrong, with unpleasant consequences and lengthy litigation if the employee makes a claim for unfair dismissal. This practical course will leave you feeling confident to deal with a discipline issue that could ultimately lead to dismissal or an employment tribunal.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe why having disciplinary and grievance procedures are essential for your business
- Describe the difference between conduct and capability
- Give examples of minor misconduct and gross misconduct
- Plan and conduct an investigation and chair a disciplinary hearing
- List the different penalties that employees may receive, including first and final warnings and dismissal
- Describe what constitutes unfair dismissal
- Describe what happens when an employee appeals a decision or makes a claim to an employment tribunal
- Use effective feedback techniques to be able to deal with difficult conversations
This course will include the following:
- Managing the probationary period and dismissals for employees with less than 2 years’ service
- A mock hearing where you will decide the outcome based on the evidence
- Dealing with difficult witnesses and uncooperative employees
- What to do if the employee is signed off sick during the disciplinary process
- How to deal with an employment tribunal claim and manage the ACAS early conciliation process
We will provide you with our bang-up-to-date template pack. Prepared by the experts from Loates HR Training & Loates HR Consultancy, these fully editable Microsoft Office documents will save you hours of research and typing pain once you return to your workplace:
- Probationary period / less than 2 years’ service dismissal letter
- Investigation report template
- Suspension letter
- Invitation to disciplinary hearing letter
- Outcome of disciplinary hearing letter
Informative and very useful
The training was a mixture of learning material, case studies and example activities.
I found this course very helpful for my day to day duties within my role, it gave me a better understanding of how to approach and deal with any such issues which may arise in the workplace and has given me the confidence to handle them efficiently.
Sarah Loates (the course trainer) gave us as a group opportunity to ask questions, share experiences and gave sound advice on the course topic.
I would certainly recommend Loates HR Training to others.
The training was brilliant
The training was brilliant – took away a lot of information. Tell Sarah she scored 5 star all areas – polite, professional, knowledgeable and I wouldn’t change a thing
Upcoming Open Courses
We don’t currently have any public open sessions scheduled for this course, so please contact us to discuss bespoke options.
We can also deliver this course on-demand should you wish us to run a session reserved entirely for your company. For such dedicated sessions we offer flexible delivery location, minor content customisation, and discounted delegate rates. Alternatively we can combine content from this course with that from others to create a hybrid course, or design an entirely bespoke course to suit the needs of your company. We can also provide programmes of multiple courses. Please contact us if you'd like to discuss any of these options.